“What in the world are these eggs on my exterior window?” asks this reader in her submission regarding the picturesque arrangement of pink-yellow orbs pictured below. “They were all white/light yellow, and now we can see more pink in the inside. I tried touching one with a utensil and they are extremely hard. Any ideas?” Based on the excellent photo our reader sent in, we think that these are stink bug eggs.
Stink bugs are related to beetles, and are considered ‘true bugs’. When threatened or crushed, these bugs release a foul smell which gives them their name. Originally from East Asia, these critters are an invasive species in the West, and are considered pests. Typically they will start to invade people’s homes late in the summer to seek warmth as temperatures drop. Other than that, they do like to munch on fruits, so it is possible that they will start crawling over fruits left out in the open, but this is not the reason for their invasion. It should also be noted that sting bugs do not bite, and they do not spread disease, so they are not harmful whatsoever to humans or pets. That said, the odor they release can cause allergic reactions, so it is still best to avoid causing them distress where possible.
Luckily for our reader, the eggs are on the exterior side of the window, and on top of that, they are just eggs, meaning she has plenty of time to stop the infestation before it starts. We suggest she scrape the eggs off the window and move them somewhere far from her home. Otherwise, when the eggs hatch, it is possible that the larvae will just enter her home for the warmth it will provide. Now, if our reader finds any adult stink bugs, she should absolutely not crush it. If she does, it will emit its signature ‘stink’, which will not only smell foul, but could very well trigger an allergic reaction.
In conclusion, the eggs our reader found on her window are stink bug eggs. These creatures are not harmful, though they can infest homes and munch on the fruit and plants inside. On top of that, the smell they release when crushed is notoriously unpleasant and can cause allergic reactions, so our reader should definitely try to avoid stepping on any! We hope this helps, and we wish our reader the very best!
All About Worms is always free, always reader-supported. Your tips via CashApp, Venmo, or Paypal are appreciated! Receipts will come from ISIPP Publishing.