“I would love to get identification of these little things I found on my carpet”, writes Stef from Ireland about the white, semi-transparent, worm-like creature pictured below. “I have a dog and I’m worried that she could have worms, but possibly thinking it could be some kind of fly larvae that came in on wood that we bring in for the fire. Any help is much appreciated!” Without wasting any time, we will confirm Stef’s second guess, that these are fly larvae (commonly known as maggots). The white body and tapered ends, with the small black head, points to this conclusion.
Fly larvae are not directly harmful to humans or pets, so we do not think Stef has anything to worry about as long as she is only finding the larvae on the wood, which are then being thrown into the fire. Of course, we know this is not the case since the larva in the photo was found on her carpet. The problem with fly larvae is that they can carry harmful bacteria and pathogens (due to the fact that they commonly breed in, and consume, faeces), so consuming them is not safe. So, if the larvae were to get in her dog’s food, or in her own food, then she has cause for concern.
Naturally, if Stef is concerned about her health, she should consult a medical professional. Likewise, if she is worried about her dog, she should take her to the vet. To control the invasion of the larvae, we recommend simply inspecting the wood she brings into the home. She can do the same for her clothes and shoes, as well as her dog’s fur, as the larvae could be coming into the house that way. Similarly, the larvae could be hatching inside the home if an adult fly managed to find its way in and lay eggs. Given that possibility, Stef might want to do a proper clean of her home (vacuuming being the most important step). If they have been living inside her home for long enough, they will likely have gotten into her food waste, so it would be a good idea to throw that out if she hasn’t done so recently.
In conclusion, we think Stef did indeed find fly larvae on her carpet. They are not directly harmful to humans or dogs, but they are not safe to ingest. We hope this helps, and we wish Stef the very best!
All About Worms is always free, always reader-supported. Your tips via CashApp, Venmo, or Paypal are appreciated! Receipts will come from ISIPP Publishing.