earthworm in dirt
Continue Reading
Posted in Interesting Worms

Worms for Leaching Fields (Septic Drain Fields)

A reader asked us a question about worms and leaching fields, which are also called “leach drains” and “septic drain fields.” They take a few different forms, but basically a leaching field is an arrangement of perforated pipes that are designed to remove contaminants from the liquid that drains out of septic tanks. The reader is interested in buying worms, which are often called sewage worms or septic worms (more of this in a second), for his leaching field, but he can only find them for sale in the U.K., and he can’t get the worms shipped to the U.S. The reader was first of all wondering what kind of worms live in leaching fields, and he also wants to know if he can buy them in the U.S.