A reader just asked us the following question: Can a screwworm live in the human body/intestine if the human accidentally eats the egg or worm?
For readers tuning in who do not know, screwworms are the larval form of blowflies. There are two different species of screwworms, known to the general public as primary screwworms and secondary screwworms. Both species of screwworms produce myiasis. Myiasis is the parasitic infestation of a live mammal caused by maggots (or fly larvae) that grow by feeding on a hosts’ living tissue. Primary screwworms feed on living tissue and can cause deep lesions in the skin. The depth and severity of these lesions can be detrimental to the host. Secondary screwworms only feed on necrotic, or dead, tissue.
If someone accidentally ate a screwworm or the egg of a screwworm, the low oxygen levels of their gut will probably kill the screwworms, but they should contact a doctor immediately. We are not medical professionals here at All About Worms, and we cannot administer medical advice or speculation.
In conclusion, a reader reached out to us with some questions about screwworms. We have provided some information, but we encourage our reader to get in touch with a doctor as soon as possible if they believe they have accidentally eaten a screwworm.