Eating Worms: Harmful or Helpful?

Eating worms is not necessarily bad for humans. In fact, there are some worms that may be rather useful in treating certain illnesses. There are also some worms that we might eat unintentionally that will not usually cause us any harm. However, there are also worms that can hurt us as they are parasites of the worst form.

The first thing to ask yourself when thinking about the possibility of eating worms is whether you want to or not. It’s not usually necessary to eat worms for survival. There are rare instances where someone may be on a survival television show, living in harsh survival camp conditions to experience the rugged outdoors, or are truly lost in nature and need to eat whatever they can to survive.


ATTENTION: GET PARASITE HELP NOW! At All About Worms we get a lot of questions about skin parasites, blood parasites, and intestinal parasites in humans. Because we can't diagnose you, we have put together this list of doctors and labs who understand and specialize in dealing with parasites in humans! That resource is HERE

Eating an earthworm or two will not hurt anyone. In fact, they are full of protein, are a source of nourishment and food for many animals, and may provide a good deal of entertainment as documented in the popular book How to Eat Fried Worms.

Other worms are being used in experimental research to treat intestinal diseases such as ulcerative colitis. Worms are proving to alleviate the symptoms of this disease and give relief to those who suffer from it. And, while the idea of deliberating eating worms (or in this case worm eggs) may make some nauseous, those who are in the research trials are finding that it is far better than suffering from the condition itself.

If you do eat worms you will want to make sure they are dead or that you chew them completely before swallowing them. Live worms can live in a person’s intestines or stomach for ages eating other foods taken in by the worm’s host or the waste created by these foods. Live worms can also find their way out of a body and cause a great deal of discomfort both physically and mentally.

No Paywall Here!
All About Worms is and always has been a free resource. We don't hide our articles behind a paywall, or make you give us your email address, or restrict the number of articles you can read in a month if you don't give us money. That said, it does cost us money to pay our research authors, and to run and maintain the site, so if something you read here was helpful or useful, won't you consider donating something to help keep All About Worms free?
Click for amount options
Other Amount:

Most worms that dwell in soil and gardens are fairly safe. However, there are many parasitic worms such as heartworms that infect dogs and cats. These worms are very dangerous parasites that can be fatal to both animal and human hosts.

There are also many insects that appear to be worms in the early stages of life, but they are not worms at all. Butterflies, moths and flies are commonly mistaken for worms in their youth. And, while maggots (baby flies) are not likely to hurt anyone, they are seldom among the animals (worms or otherwise) that anyone wants to eat, including children on a dare.

Author: The Top Worm

2 thoughts on “Eating Worms: Harmful or Helpful?

  1. I ate a Hershey’s “Kiss” candy that has been in my kitchen countertop for a long time. When I opened the second one I saw a warm coming out from it so I might’ve eaten one inadvertently if there was also a worm in the first candy I ate. Is there a chance that the worm will grow in my intestines? Would I have any symptoms if that would be the case?

  2. I find worms from the garden rather tasty and eat them just as alive as when I found them and nothing has happened to me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *